"Republica S.A." has a reach history.
The Tube Mill history began in 1919 when Nickolai Malaksa, a gifted Romanian businessman, invested all his money into a workshop in the Eastern part of the city of Bucharest. By the end of 1922 he had 25 workshops with 150 workers under the name " Romanian engineering factory. Workshops for repair of railway locomotives and cars. Engineer N.Malaksa and the Company ". But manufacture and repair of locomotives did not make success during the period and in 1935 N.Malaksa decided to produce tubes for petroleum industry.
For this purpose, in 1936 N.Malaksa's started construction of new modern shops which could provide the safety precautions of work to a maximum degree.
In May of 1938 the first welded steel pipe made in Romania left a rolling line of the mill. " N.Malaksa's Tube-rolling Mill" had modern shop buildings with the area of 57 600 square meters in which continuous non-stop manufacture of steel tubes was set up. The raw materials were imported from the following enterprises:
- Steel plant "Vitkovitse" in Czechoslovakia;
- "Krupp" mill for manufacture of steel and slabs.
For the first year of work some shipments of steel billets were brought from France and USA.
Manufacture at "N.Malaksa's Tube-rolling Mill" was adjusted to European needs. Tubes were produced from stainless steel and hot- and cold-rolling process was set up.
Hot-rolled tubes diameter 70-168 mm and 4-22 mm wall thickness were produced for:
- oil-and-gas industry.
Cold-rolled tubes diameter 5-120 mm and wall thickness 0,5-10 mm were produced as:
- general purpose tubes;
- high-precision tubes;
Within the manufacture program the tubes were meeting the international norms or specifications of the International Institute of Standards (ISO and DIN) whereas manufacture of tubes for petroleum industry was set up according to API specifications.
During the Second World War the factory was nationalized. Difficult times begun. In 1944 the equipment had to be dismantled and evacuated . The mill was exposed to frequent bombing and many shops were destroyed. Only after the war and by governmental efforts the shops of the mill named REPUBLICA S.A. were restored, the equipment was brought back and the production started again.
Since 1993 the mill began implementing of a program aimed at better quality of production for oilfield industry.
The program had 3 directions:
I. Introduction of modern quality control methods of production.
II. Purchase of the equipment to improve the quality control of production.
III. Modernization of finishing lines for OCTG tubes.
These measures enabled the mill to put out high quality production according to international standards.
The quality control system for manufacture of tubes for nuclear industry was transferred in 1993 on the process of OCTG tubes production.
The mill was one of the first in Romania to get certified according to international standards and certified for ISO 9001, API Spec. Q1, ASME Code, EN 45.001, Germanischer Lloyd, ANSALDO AECL Consortium, National Committee of Nuclear Activity Inspection, Ministry of National Defense (OMCAS). It has as well a TUV permission and system permissions for delivery to the markets of Russia.
Quality control of production is provided with the use of most advanced methods such as:
- non-destructive control;
- automatic ultrasonic control carried out with NUKEM and TUBOSCOPE VETCO equipment.
All this provides now a quality level of products enabling REPUBLICA S.A. to export over 80 % of its production.